Juvederm is a line of dermal fillers, based on the natural biological compound hyaluronic acid. (1)
Juvederm fillers are injected under the skin of the face by trained medical professionals to treat the effects of aging, as a safe and effective alternative to surgery.
Some common areas treated include: (2)
- Cheeks (e.g. cheek augmentation)
- Under eyes
- Nasolabial folds
- Lips (e.g. lip augmentation)
- Smile Lines
Juvederm uses the compound hyaluronic acid (HA) as its active ingredient. Hyaluronic acid is a natural protein found throughout our body, with important functions in keeping our skin healthy and robust. (3) Other hyaluronic acid based fillers include Belotero and Restylane.
As we age, the collagen and elastin that provide the support structure of our skin and which are responsible for the suppleness and elasticity of our skin lose their connections and become disorganized and dried out. This gives skin the baggy, wrinkled, and dry appearance that we know as aging changes.
However, HA – the active ingredient in Juvederm – stabilizes these important skin support structures and provides them with the proper chemical environment to reconnect and regain their important functions again. This makes HA an excellent natural skin rejuvenation agent. (4)
Because HA is natural to our bodies, Juvederm is readily accepted and adopted once it is injected. It becomes part of the skin’s structure and remains in place for a long time after injection.
In general, Juvederm can last from 6 to 12 months. It can last longer if Voluma or Vollure are used. (7) Additionally, the length of your results will vary depending on the area being treated. Results tend to last longer in areas where there is not a lot of movement as opposed to areas where there is.
Besides its restorative effects on our skin’s elasticity, Juvederm is also an excellent choice for lifting the skin to replace the volume loss that occurs under the skin as we age. This reduces the sunken appearance that comes with aging, especially in the cheeks.
The HA in Juvederm also acts as a sponge, drawing in our natural body fluids to give a filling about 1,000 times more than its own volume. (7) This fluid provides a constant source of hydration to the skin, which furthers adds to the natural-looking age-defying rejuvenation.
As well, the HA in Juvederm has the added effect of stimulating our body’s natural collagen growth. This provides additional volume support.
Juvederm is among the best known dermal filler lines in the world. Allergan, the company that produces the line, is a leader in research and development and is constantly updating their product line to reflect the latest science and experience.
To this end, Allergan has developed a unique molecular cross-linking technology that produces high-viscosity, moldable product with great lift and support, with an extended duration of action. (5)
Juvederm is an entire line of products, each designed with different characteristics to make them especially well-suited for specific areas of the face and specific skin problems.
Since most people seeking facial rejuvenation wish to address various area of the face, combined treatments with different products may be appropriate, and the filler products may be seen as being complementary to each other.
Many of the Juvederm products come in two versions, one of which contains the initial “XC” (such as Juvederm Volbella and Volbella XC). The XC means that the anesthetic numbing agent lidocaine is mixed in with the product for added comfort during the treatment. Most of the products are available in the XC version.
Some of the more popular formulations include:
- Juvederm Voluma XC: Injections beneath the surface of the skin add lift and contour to the cheeks to correct age-related volume loss.
- Juvederm XC: Reduces smile lines and wrinkles around the mouth and nose. Results are immediate and can last up to a year.
- Juvederm Vollure XC: Like Juvederm XC, Vollure XC targets moderate to severe smile lines around the mouth and nose. In addition to smoothing the area, Vollure XC also adds volume and can last up to 18 months.
- Juvederm Ultra XC: Adds volume and fullness to the lips for a plump, youthful appearance.
- Juvederm Volbella XC: Like Ultra XC, Volbella XC targets thin lips adding volume. Volbella XC has the added benefit of smoothing the appearance of vertical lines in the lips.
Your healthcare professional will help you come up with a treatment plan with the best product for you based on your specific needs and goals.
Choosing the right provider is an important factor to ensuring you get the best results.
The following are helpful tips for finding a qualified provider:
- Consider choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist.
- View before and after photos of their patients.
- Read their online reviews.
Juvederm treatments are done as an office procedure lasting anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Most people can return to their normal activities immediately following injection. This has made injections a popular “lunch-break” activity.
The results will continue to improve in the weeks after the treatment. As the gel attracts water and improves the structure of the skin, it leads to longer-lasting results, which carry on even as the gel itself is gradually broken down by the body.
Repeat injections are necessary, usually around every six months, depending on the area being treated and the product used.
Juvederm injections are safe, tried and true ways to rejuvenate your look, but can cause some temporary bruising and swelling. There may also be some discomfort, itching, or redness following a treatment. (1)
Lumps, unevenness, or discoloration are uncommon but may occur, especially if the injector is lacking experience. Rarely, infection may occur. These problems are usually easily treated in the unlikely event that they occur. Juvederm can be fully reversed if necessary to treat side effects. (6)
Juvederm side effects, when they occur, usually subside within a few days.
Following treatment, recovery time is usually minimal, and most people can return to normal life right away. No bandages are required.
Your healthcare provider may advise you to avoid strenuous activity, direct sun exposure, make-up, and alcohol for 24 hours after your treatment, and to avoid strenuous exercise for 1-2 days after a treatment.
The average cost of Juvederm treatments is approximately $500 to $800 per syringe, depending on your geographic region, the provider chosen, the area of the skin being treated, and other factors.
The cost also depends on the type of Juvederm and the volume needed to achieve the desired result. In general, filling deeper facial folds requires more Juvederm, and therefore is slightly more expensive. Many healthcare providers offer flexible financing or repayment plans.
Ready to take the next step?
To see if you are a good candidate for Juvederm injections, find a doctor near you to schedule a consultation.
- Arsiwala S. (2015). Current Trends in Facial Rejuvenation with Fillers. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery, 8(3), 125–126. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4645139/
- Bader, R.S. (2018). Dermal fillers. Medscape Dermatology. Retrieved from https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1125066-overview#a3
- Cheng, L., Sun, X., Tang, M., Jin, R., Cui, W, & Zhang, Y. (2016). An update review on recent skin fillers. Plastic and Aesthetic Research, 3, 92-9. Retrieved from https://parjournal.net/article/view/1347
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Juvéderm Voluma XC. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf11/p110033c.pdf
- Rohrich, R., Bartlett, E., & Dayan, E. (2019). Practical approach and safety of hyaluronic acid fillers. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 7(6), e2172. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/prsgo/Fulltext/2019/06000/Practical_Approach_and_Safety_of_Hyaluronic_Acid.19.aspx
- Sarnoff, D., Saini, R., & Gotkin, H. (2008). Comparison of filling agents for lip augmentation. Aesthetic Surgery Journal, 28(5), 556-563. Retrieved from https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/28/5/556/203039
- Allemann I., Baumann, L., (2008) Hyaluronic acid gel ( Juvéderm™) preparations in the treatment of facial wrinkles and folds, 3(4): 629–634. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2682392/